Translate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Do You Love Your Job?

June 18, 2013

I was reading an article this morning that Jason Elrod, President of WakeUpNow, sent me and I was cracking up because I absolutely LOVE what I do.  But what does that matter to you?  The real question is this.

Do you LOVE YOUR JOB? 
Do you look forward to Mondays? 
Do you like the people you work with?
Do you like what you do? 
Is it what you always dreamed of doing? 
Does it help you on your way to living your dreams?

I ask these crazy questions because after reading this article that I posted below, I realized that I am in a very unique situation.  I attended law school & business school and thought I had my whole business career figured out.  Because of some interesting things that happened in my life, & that’s another story, I ended up working with start-up businesses for the last 13 years.  The actual start-up process is sometimes stressful but once the business model and system is solidified, proven and then taking off, it becomes a ton of fun.  In the particular business that I am doing now with WakeUpNow, we are changing people’s lives every day and it is a blast!  I look forward to each day, enjoy what I do and it is helping live my dreams.  It isn’t exactly going the way that I had thought it would 20 years ago but I’m on the path and it is GOOD FUN! 

Check out this article and if it relates to you, we need to talk.



The State of the American Workplace Is…Meh
June 11, 2013, 4:13 PM

By Melissa Korn

America’s office workers report low levels of engagement on the job, according to new Gallup findings.
Does your job excite you?
For most American workers, the answer to that question is a resounding “no.”
A new Gallup poll finds that 52% of all full-time workers in America are not involved in, enthusiastic about or committed to their work. Another 18% are “actively disengaged,” meaning they’ve gone beyond just checking out mentally and could even be undermining colleagues’ accomplishments.
That leaves just 30% of American workers who feel excited about their jobs. While disheartening for managers, that finding marks an improvement over worker engagement levels measured in the depths of the financial crisis and actually matches the highest engagement rate since Gallup started tracking in 2000.
Gallup used responses from surveys of thousands of U.S.-based workers, managers and companies in its annual State of the American Workplace report.
A worker’s gender, geographic location and even job title can affect engagement. Women and managers tend to record higher levels of engagement, as do new hires and those in Louisiana. (Male service-workers in Rhode Island, ranked the lowest.) But one of the biggest predictors for a passionate workforce is company and team size, Gallup found: Workers at firms with 10 or fewer employees, or those on teams with five to nine employees, reported higher engagement levels than those in larger groups. That may be because managers can personalize morale-boosting efforts in more intimate groups, Gallup says.
Gallup estimates that actively unhappy workers cost the U.S. $450 billion to $550 billion a year, due to high absenteeism and turnover, quality-control issues and lost productivity.
Employees at companies in growth mode tend to be more engaged than those at firms letting go of staff. It’s a virtuous circle, researchers say, as companies with engaged employees tend to perform better financially, and thus can afford new hires. Growing companies often have a more positive work environment, further bolstering employee engagement.


No comments:

Post a Comment